Chapter 4: Frequent Flyer Programs
In Chapter 4 of the book we discussed the frequent flyer programs of several airlines. Here are links to some of the credit cards and techniques discussed in that chapter.
Here are the three Delta American Express cards described in Chapter 4. Unfortunately there are no signup bonuses high enough to make these cards worth applying for right now. Watch this space for ongoing developments.
- American Express Delta Gold. This is the standard offer of 30,000 Skymiles after $500 in purchases within 3 months of card membership. $95 annual fee, waived the first year of card membership.
- American Express Delta Platinum. The standard offer of 35,000 redeemable Skymiles and 5,000 MQM after spending $1,000 on the card within 3 months of card membership. $195 annual fee, not waived the first year.
- American Express Delta Reserve. A standard offer of 10,000 bonus miles and 10,000 MQM after first purchase. $450 annual fee, not waived the first year.
Find additional Delta Skymiles information here:
- Chase United MileagePlus Explorer. 30,000 miles after $1000 in spending within 3 months. Earns 1 United mile per dollar spent on the card, plus 10,000 bonus miles if you spend $25,000 on the card in a calendar year. $95 annual fee, waived the first year of card membership.
- Chase United Club. $100 statement credit after first purchase. Earn 1.5 United miles per dollar spent on the card and receive United Club membership as long as long as you keep the card. $395 annual fee, not waived the first year.
Find additional United MileagePlus information here:
- The 2015 United MileagePlus program.
- My blog post on booking free one-way flights as part of round-trip United award reservations.
- Another illustration of booking free one-way flights on United award reservations.
- United's interactive award calculator.
- United partner earning rates.
- Citi / AAdvantage Platinum Select MasterCard. 30,000 AAdvantage miles after spending $1,000 in the first 3 months. Earns 1 AAdvantage mile per dollar spent on the card. $95 annual fee, waived for the first 12 months of card membership.
- Citi / AAdvantage Executive World Elite MasterCard. 75,000 AAdvantage miles after spending $7,500 in the first 3 months. Earns 1 AAdvantage mile per dollar spent on the card, and includes an Admiral's Club membership. $450 annual fee, not waived the first year.
Here's some additional reading material on American Airlines:
- American Airlines award chart for travel on or after June 1, 2014.
- Oneworld and other partner award chart.
- American Airlines partner earning rates.
- Bank of America Alaska Airlines Visa Signature. 25,000 Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan miles on account approval and $100 statement credit after spending $1,000 within 90 days. Includes a coach class Companion Ticket every year, including the first year, starting at $121 and usable on for any available coach seat, unlike the much more restrictive Delta Platinum and Reserve companion tickets. $75 annual fee, not waived the first year.
Here's some additional reading material on Alaska Airlines: