Reader Winston has asked what credit cards I personally carry, which I think is a great way to keep a travel blogger honest. Of course, it's slightly more relevant for bloggers who pepper their posts with affiliate links, but what's good for the goose, etc.
US Bank is quietly a powerhouse of lucrative credit cards. I carry three cards they issue, and put spend on all three each month:
- Cash+. 2% cash back at drugstores, with no minimum redemption;
- Flexperks Travel. Double Flexpoints at gas stations, worth up to 4% cash back in redemptions for paid airline travel;
- Club Carlson Business. 5 Gold Points per dollar spent everywhere.
Lots of old standbys here. The Freedom is actually the result of a product change from Chase's great Slate product, which I got back when I carried balances:
- Freedom. Rotating 5x categories;
- Sapphire Preferred. Transferability of Ultimate Rewards points;
- Marriott Rewards Premier. Signup bonus, annual free night;
- British Airways. Signup bonus.
Bank of America
My oldest credit card, which I put spend on once a year or so:
- Cash Rewards. 3% cash back on up to $1,500 on gas stations quarterly.
Three great cards:
- Delta Platinum Business. One of the best values in the business;
- Hilton HHonors Surpass. 6 HHonors points per dollar at gas stations and grocery stores;
- "Old" Blue Cash. 5% cash back at drugstores, gas stations, and grocery stores after spending $6,500 on the card per membership year.
The Arrival has a $89 annual fee, so if I can't have that waived in April I'll be closing it. Lucrative, though:
- Arrival World MasterCard. 2.22% cash back everywhere, when redeemed against travel purchases;
- US Airways. Signup bonus.
Citi's a slum: you only visit when they have something you need. I'm actually waiting to receive the Dividend Platinum Select, which I product changed my formerly 5% cash back ThankYou Preferred card to a few weeks ago:
- Platinum Select AAdvantage MasterCard. Signup bonus;
- Dividend Platinum Select. Rotating 5% cash back categories.
- Investment Rewards American Express. 2% cash back everywhere.
And now my cards are on the table.